Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Boo Boo

Only Fractured, Only a Wing
by Phyllis Jean Green
Tuesday, January 09, 2007

T h a n k y o u for your warm and encouraging responses re my accident. Fell while trying to control dog Nick...simultaneously dash to greet my daughter and two granddaughters. . .off our boardwalk onto rt. side. Fracture's healing & shoulder relocating. Not that I'm n o t complaining! Hurts like bloody fire.
Slows my already too-slow self. Ray spent a day building a special tray, or I wouldn't be writing this. Friend shows up with meals; others call long-distance. Family so supportive. Please believe me, I know how lucky I am!!! Home is really home, and that is no small thing. Thanks again for the boosts. Hope you enjoy my current off'ring, warts & all. Love, Pea
---------



..


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Only Fractured, Only a Wing

With the mouse on a tray on my lap
and the keyboard hanging onto the edge
of the door I use to compute, it is possible
to type. A shoulder screams, but possibility
feeds my addiction. Drug only we few
sell all for. Prodding, dragging Muse
won’t let us stop. Have to. Have to.
Have to stop. Fractured arm hangs
in a non-covered sling. Neck wrenches
into kinks. But like the song says, fish
gotta swim, birds gotta, ‘cet. We gotta write
until we fly. Keep picturing the stubborn V’s
migration requires. Hear platoons of geese
honk their ballsy, nails-on-chalkboard honks.
See an old tree worm and twist new roots
around chunks of iron. Whales flee
giant oil spills. Beaten down women pack
their few possessions and go on the lam,
children in tow. My brother used to be
Houdini. Grew up, felt forced to
choose suicide We Writers cannot escape
the greater escape that lathes wind
beneath the odd dislocated wing.
Physical pain a mercy next to pain within
that has no outlet. . .right? Oh hell.
What is a twinge compared to the fun
of embroidering lies. Miraculously,
some detour beyond True. Got a lamp
on loan, complete with genie. Swee







(c) Phyllis Jean Green 01/06

No comments: